Here are the top 7 affordable small business health insurance providers for 2020. eHealth carries group plans from all of these health insurance companies, in addition to other top providers in your state.
UnitedHealthcare (UHC) is the largest health insurance provider in the nation, offering plans for group coverage in all 50 U.S. states. Reasons why UnitedHealthcare could be considered among the best small business health insurance providers include:
- National medical network – UHC has an extensive network of doctors and hospitals, making their health care services more accessible for members of small business plans.
- Technology resources – Many UHC group plans include Virtual Visits, which facilitate online health care and doctor consultations through computers, mobile devices, or tablets.
Overall, UnitedHealthcare offers effective group coverage options for many small businesses.
2. Blue Cross Blue Shield
Among the best small business health insurance providers is Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS), which operates through the 36 local and independent health insurance companies of the BCBS Association that cover people in all U.S. states and ZIP codes.
- Trusted by small business – Millions of small business employees receive their group coverage through Blue Cross Blue Shield companies.
- Popular plan options – BCBS covers one in three Americans and has one of the country’s most popular PPO networks, the BlueCard® PPO.
Blue Cross Blue Shield partners with most U.S. hospitals and doctors, making their group health insurance plans widely available to employers.
Available in 14 U.S. states, Anthem is the largest for-profit managed health care company in the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association. Anthem has one of the country’s most extensive networks, meaning that many of your small business employees may already have their doctors within the Anthem network.
- Integrated health care – Anthem takes an integrated approach to medical care through combined health plans, which connect patient data in order to more effectively manage care.
- Smart tools – With Anthem’s online tools, employees can conveniently find doctors, schedule video visits, or have their questions answered by calling Anthem’s 24/7 NurseLine.
With Anthem, you and your employees benefit from the advantages of a major medical network, as well as resources that help with managing your group medical plans.
Humana is one of the largest health insurance providers in America, and may be considered among the best small business health insurance companies due to the many group coverage plans they offer. All small business plans from Humana include these benefits:
- Preventative care advantages – In-network preventative care appointments are 100 percent-covered by all Humana group medical plans.
- Convenient plan features – Other features in all Humana group health insurance plans include wellness rewards, virtual doctor visits, and access to Humana Pharmacy services.
Humana offers a variety of affordable small business health insurance plans for small employers and their employees.
5. Kaiser Permanente
Offering health insurance in eight U.S. states and the District of Columbia, Kaiser Permanente is a major health insurance company that provides quality group health plans to its members.
- Affordability – Since Kaiser Permanente is the largest managed care organization in the nation, it can offer a significant number of affordable small business health insurance plans and options.
- Flexibility – Many Kaiser Permanente HMO group health plans, HSAs, and HRAs feature lower premiums and tax savings, and their PPO plans include added flexibility when choosing doctors.
For employers looking for one of the best small business health insurance companies for managed care services, Kaiser Permanente group coverage plans are among the top options.
Aetna provides group health insurance plans to small businesses across the United States. With a nationwide network of doctors, hospitals, and specialists, Aetna can be a great choice among group coverage providers.
- Quality balanced with cost – Aetna has affordable and competitive health plans for small business employers, including wellness offerings and funding options.
- Self-funded coverage – Aetna Funding AdvantageSM health plans provide the benefits of self-funding to small businesses, as well as stop loss protection and cost control.
As one of the largest health insurance providers in the country, Aetna is among the best small business health insurance companies for business owners seeking quality group medical benefits.
7. Health Care Services Corporation (HCSC)
Heath Care Services Corporation (HCSC) is the nation’s largest customer-owned health insurance company and an Independent Licensee of the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association. Located in Chicago, Illinois, HCSC serves members in five different states and primarily operates in Illinois and Texas.
- Purpose-driven – HCSC measures its success in four key ways: financial strength, membership, administrative costs, and member loyalty.
- Cost-effective – HCSC is dedicated to expanding access to affordable, quality plans and providing its members with tools, information, and resources to help them lead healthier lives.
With its strong local presence, HCSC may be one of the best small business health insurance providers in your area if your business is located in one of the states that HCSC provides group coverage for.
As you look for different group medical policy options, remember that the availability of specific health care plans and providers varies based on the state your small business is located in.